[EnergyPlus_Support] internal heat gain and building material

Hello,

I have a question about how the energyplus calculate the heat mechanism between internal heat gain and building material.

There are two bulidings here, in which one is commercial building with heavy internal heat gain (people, lights and equipment), and the other one is residential building with much lower internal heat gain as compared to the commercail case. Except the internal heat gain setting, other settings were almost the same, including the material, air system type and so on.

In order to reduce the heat rejection from air conditioners during the daytime, I tried to change the wall and roof material to the material with lower thermal transmittance (U value)in both cases.

But, the simulation results showed that the mitigation improvement ( the reduced heat rejection ) was about 3% and 7% during the daytime ( 06:00-18:00)in residential and commercial buildings respectively.

I wonder what is the actual reason that caused the 4% difference.
The internal heat gain? if it is the reason, how the energyplus calculate it? The temperature setting was set to 25C and Timestep in hour was set to be 6 in both cases.

Thank you very much.

Chunming

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM