Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] load and energy balance

1.  The easiest way to determine the sensible load requirements to
maintain the specified thermostat setpoints is to use the purchased
air simulation with no capacity limits and include outside air if
applicable.  This will also provide a rough approximation of latent
load requirements.

2a.  If the thermostat setpoints are being met, then the cooling plant
is providing enough cooling.  This is the only measure of performance
which is available.  You can use the new report:table:bin feature to
see the distribution of temperatures in the zones to assess if
setpoints are being met.

2b.  It is very difficult to do a simplified energy balance
calculation which will agree with the simulation result.  To balance
the building envelope, you must reduce the problem to a steady-state
condition by defining a constant temperature day with no sunshine.
Balancing loads within the HVAC simulation is easier since each time
step is a quasi-steady-state simulation, but there are still many
details which must be accounted for.

Mike

On 21 Sep 2003, at 16:36, Helen Xing wrote:

> Hello, there.  I was just wondering what is the best/easiest way to
>
> 1) get a building's hourly total cooling loads from E+
> 2) verify that the cooling plant is providing enough (or not enough)
> energy to meet the building load on an hourly basis
>
> I pulled out some outputs from E+ and tried to do a balance check.
> But it didn't seem to match.  While checking the model, I wonder if I
> used the right outputs from E+.  Thanks a lot in advance for your
> help.
>
> Regards,
> Helen Xing

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support