[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: My way of doing batch run, is this okay ?

(You're fine as far as the license agreement.)

You may want to dig into batch file commands a bit more. They are
actually very powerful.

For example, I have been doing a set of runs where I want to copy
essentially the same file to a new filename with a number appended.
Then I want to run those in series using a numbered weather file as
well.  To do that, I use a seies of nested batch file which calls
one another.

My first batch file consists of two lines:

Call MakeFiles PRI_San.Juan TMY2
Call RunLocation PRI_San.Juan TMY2

The second batch file (MakeFiles.bat) has these lines:

FOR /L %%Y IN (1961,1,1990) DO Copy SmallOffice.idf SmallOffice_%1_%%
Y.idf
Copy SmallOffice.idf SmallOffice_%1_%2.idf

The second batch file (RunLocation.bat) has these lines:

FOR /L %%Y IN (1961,1,1990) DO Call RunEnergyPlus SmallOffice_%1_%%Y
%1_%%Y
Call RunEnergyPlus SmallOffice_%1_%2 %1_%2

And the RunEnergyPlus is essentially the RunEPlus.bat that is
provided with EnergyPlus.

The first line in MakeFiles.bat creates a series of 30 identical
input files named SmallOffice_PRI_San.Juan_1961.idf through
SmallOffice_PRI_San.Juan_1990.idf.  The second line creates
SmallOffice_PRI_San.Juan_TMY2.idf.

The third batch file (RunLocation.bat) then calls RunEnergyPlus 30
times using SmallOffice_PRI_San.Juan_1961.idf and
PRI_San.Juan_1961.epw (up through 1990).  The second line calls
RunEnergyPlus again for the TMY2 input and EPW file.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Linda Lawrie <linda@l...>
wrote:
> At 02:24 AM 12/11/2003, waspoorboy wrote:
> >Does it violates EnergyPlus license agreement ?
> >[i.e., altering/modifying/making use of the existing batch file]
>
> Hmmm.  I better read the license agreement again.  As far as I
know, you
> should be able to use any of the flat files to your purposes.
This would
> include the RunEPlus batch file, the EPL-Run batch file that EP-
Launch
> uses, change the EPW files to suit your needs (i.e. look at the
effects of
> say +2 deg in dry bulb with same other conditions), etc.
>
> Where you "might" run into trouble would be to give these to
someone else
> to use.  But again, if you share them on this forum, (and as you
say "at
> your own risk"), I don't think that should be perceived as any
kind of
> violation of the license agreement.
>
> Yes, does look like it would work.  Note, however, that RunEP is
the result
> of EP-Launch using the selected items and "crossed" with EPL-Run.
>
> What might equally work would be another batch file that
contains "calls"
> to the RunEPlus batch file.
>
> call runeplus C:\EnergyPlus111\BatchRun\001
> C:\EnergyPlus111\WeatherData\AAA.epw
> call runeplus C:\EnergyPlus111\BatchRun\002
> C:\EnergyPlus111\WeatherData\BBB.epw
> call runeplus C:\EnergyPlus111\BatchRun\003
> C:\EnergyPlus111\WeatherData\CCC.epw
>
> You would need to modify runeplus.bat file appropriately so that
it can
> accept full paths as the arguments -- as distributed it sets up to
use
> inputs from ExampleFiles and the Weatherdata as the WeatherData
folder
> under the root where EnergyPlus is installed.
>
> Good luck.
>

> Linda
>
> EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
> Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list