Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Ground Temperature [Slab.exe]

On 12 Dec 2003, at 16:15, waspoorboy wrote:

> The new Ground Temperature package has "included monthly inside
> temperatures (TIN), and a daily range."[ref. new E+SlabGHT.idd]
>
> #1:The Ground Temp section of AuxiliaryPrograms.pdf has not reflected
> the change.

What is missing?  In the AuxiliaryPrograms.pdf for version 1.1.1, I see
descriptions of these inputs on p. 49 (pdf p. 57).

> #2:It is said that Weather File ground temp may not be suitable of
> being used directly [I/O ref], because the heat transfer between
> building slab and the ground may already changed the soil temp around
> the slab.
>
> Q:If now the building is left un-airconditioned, i.e., no HVAC,
> would Weather File ground temp be suitable then ?

The weather file values are for undisturbed ground temperatures.
Anything that is put over the ground disturbs the temperature profile.
It is a very long transient that may take several years, but it
changes.  Ground temperatures under buildings change greatly from
undisturbed values.

Such a building will still have an effect.  It shades the ground and
its inside temperature is usually not the ambient air temperature.The
Weather File ground temp is not suitable.

The ground temperature program does not simulate a floating inside
temperature, so a determination of the ground temperature requires
multiple steps.  First simulate the unheated building in EnergyPlus
with an insulated floor.  Then use the monthly average indoor
temperatures as monthly indoor setpoints for the ground temperature
calculation.  Use the resulting monthly ground temperatures with the
EnergyPlus building simulation to determine the effect of the ground
temperature.  This procedure could be repeated if the indoor
temperatures resulting from the second EnergyPlus run are significantly
different from those calculated with the insulated floor.  Usually they
are not.

> #3:"lower boundary at a fixed temperature"
> Should this field be always TRUE ?
> If not, when should it be FALSE ?
> How does it affect the calculation and the results ?
>
> BoundConds,
> TRUE, !- EVTR: Is surface evapotranspiration modeled
> TRUE, !- FIXBC: is the lower boundary at a fixed temperature
> FALSE;!- OLDTG: is there an old ground temperature file

With the lower boundary at a 10 m depth, there is a very small
difference between the fixed temperature boundary condition and the
zero flux boundary condition.  Just use the fixed temperature boundary
condition.

> Thanks,
> Ming

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

To visit your group on the web, go to: