Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Fanger PMV

>From the Input Output Reference, p. 172 (pdf p. 198), " . . . for all Thermal
Comfort reporting:  Though the published values for thermal comfort ?vote? have
a discrete scale (e.g. ?3 to +3 or ?4 to +4), the calculations in EnergyPlus
are carried out on a continuous scale and, thus, reporting may be ?off the
scale? with specific conditions encountered in the space.  This is not
necessarily an error in EnergyPlus ? rather a different approach that does not
take the ?limits? of the discrete scale values into account."

This means that out of range values will be calculated and reported, and such
values usually indicate a problem in the input.  PMV values of -6 to -12 mean
that the occupants will most likely freeze to death.  If the MRT is 35C (95F),
then some other value is pushing the PMV to be low.  Check your values for
activity level, work efficiency (should be close to 0.0), clothing insulation,
and air velocity.

Mike

On 30 Dec 2003, at 15:10, vamsi gooje wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm studying a single zone adobe house in Arizona. For preliminary study, the
> passive features of the house is under study.
>
> The Fanger PMV model in EnergyPlus, as I understand has a discrete scale which
> doesn't conform to the usual -3 to +3 scale. In the Fanger PMV output I'm
> getting a range of -6 to -12 ( for a MRT range of 32ºC - 35ºC).
>
> I greatly appreciate any input on how to interpret this scale if I were to check
> for PPD.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
>
> Vamshi

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

>  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
>  Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: