Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Venting Wall Cavities

Simon,  the mass effect of the brick is very real...
I have lived in my brick venier cavity wall house
since  01/87 and nobody can touch my performance
numbers.  Model the brick as a perfect current source
in the electrically equivalent system. Adjust the
"temp excess" above T infinity as a function of
Temp, solar radiation, and daylight hour.
My heat pump does not run at all from 9 am to 3 hrs
after dark.  I have 2x6 studs 24" OC, 1" foam
sheathing
, Low E2 glass <casements>, etc. I get this
performance
down to  20 F  max day temp..........

John Ross  Pe

--- Simon Gowland <gowland_simon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I am trying to model a wall with a
> construction
> consisting of..
>
> -brick veneer
> -airgap
> -building paper
> -timber framing with insulation
> -plasterboard
>
> I have a question.
>
> 1/ The airgap between the brick veneer and the
> building paper is vented to aviod moisture problems.
> How would this be modelled in Energy Plus. i.e do
> you
> have to model it as a seperate zone. My
> understanding
> is that the thermal resistance of the brick veneer
> is
> approximatly halved due to the venting of the
> airgap.
> Since the mass effects of the brick is not of
> relevance since it is outside the insulation layer,
> this wall might as well be modeled as a standard
> timber framed wall. However then the shadowing
> effects
> of the veneer are not recognised. If the veneer is
> modelled as an external shading device, I wonder how
> the wind sheltering of the timber framed wall would
> be
> calculated?
>
> Has anyone had experience with modelling cavity
> walls
> like this type before?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon Gowland
>

> http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
> Send your love online with Yahoo! Greetings - FREE!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Upgrade to 128-bit SSL Security!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qZ0LdD/yjVHAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.