Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Inconsistant annual energy consumption

OK, I'm not 100% expert with Energy+ here, but there is a basic flaw in
your simulation logic.  Auto calc for the HVAC system will give you good
loads on a system.  I'm not sure that it can go to the next step of
selecting a chiller.  If you have a 93 ton load, you probably have to
select a 100 ton chiller because no one manufactures your exact load
size. (or you could round down if you determine that you will only loose
temperature control within reasonable limits for a short time)  If
Energy+ is making a standard size chiller selection, it may be doing it
wrong.  I would try using Auto calc for a load and then inputting a
standard chiller size for your further energy analysis.

Remember, an oversized chiller can be much less efficient under part
load operations.  Large systems often use multiple chillers to stage to
the load for better efficiency as well as redundancy.

Ned Lyon

Senior Project Manager
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street