Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] general question

In addition, there is material  (powerpoints, notes)
for a semester-length course on simulation, including
EnergyPlus, available on the web site.  You could
go through that material at your own speed  (There's
a link to it from the main EnergyPlus web page ...
www.energyplus.gov )

                      "Michael J.
                      Witte"                   To:       EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      <mjwitte@xxxxxxxx        cc:
                      >                        Subject:  Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] general question

                      04/22/2004 03:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      EnergyPlus_Suppor

EnergyPlus can be used by an architect with HVAC systems knowledge adequate
specify the performance of various components.

EnergyPlus input files can be quite detailed.  Because there is no
full-scale
interface software available for EnergyPlus, it takes significantly more
effort
to get up the learning curve compared to the tools you have experience
with.  I
would suggest that you install EnergyPlus v1.2.0 and take some time to
browse
the documentation and some of the example input files to get a feel for the

type of input that is required.  LgOffVAV.idf would be a good example to
look
at.

There are tools available to convert CAD files into EnergyPlus surface
descriptions via IFC and gbXML, and there are some other interfaces to
assist
with the envelope description, but there are no interfaces to develop HVAC
system descriptions yet.  There are template macros that come with
EnergyPlus
to help with that for certain system types.

Any simulation tool capable of modeling a 160,000 SF commercial project
will
have a significant learning curve.  Your choice of tool must take into
consideration the types of envelope and system design features you need to
model.  EnergyPlus has many capabilities that exceed other tools.  No
matter
what tool you choose to use, keep the model as simple as possible, focusing

only on key features influencing energy consumption.

The 2-day training course covers basic skills for running EnergyPlus,
including
learning how to use the HVAC system templates to assist in generating
initial
HVAC input.  To model your project will most likely require learning
additional
features on your own.

Mike

On 22 Apr 2004, at 12:37, btfalcon71 wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> This will be a very simple question compared to many I have read
> here.  Our (architecture firm)office may be looking into running
> energy simulation as part of attaining LEED certification on future
> projects.  I am an intern architect, with a pending masters degree in
> sustainable architecture.  I have had limited exposure (residential
> scale only) to Calpass, Energy 10 and MECcheck software.  Since I
> would be the person running energy simulations in the office, I
> wanted to know; how difficult is EnergyPlus to understand and run?
> Would the two day training course offered on the web site be an
> adequate introduction for implementing a full scale simulation for a
> 160,000 SF commercial project?  I want to know just what I may be in
> for before I commit myself, and the office to something this
> technical and involved.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brian T. Falcon
> Arcus Design Group

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM