Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Flow rate

Mike,

While I fully understand what you wrote, it does not correspond to
typical design practice.  The main branch is often smaller than max of
the connected terminal units because it is assumes that some diversity
exists, that is not all the terminal devices hit a max call at the same
time.  I assume that an autosize feature looks at the diversity for you,
otherwise if autosize just sums the max terminal flows, it oversizes the
main branch.

Ned Lyon

Senior Project Manager
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street
Building #1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA  02453

Phone:  781-907-9000
Fax:  781-907-9009

>>> mjwitte@xxxxxxxx 6/3/2004 2:55:40 PM >>>
The max flow rate in the air loop main branch is usually set to equal
the sum
of the max flow rates of the terminal units.  In your case, if you air
loop
serves a single zone, then the max flow rate should equal the max
damper air
flow rate of 0.47 m3/s.  The fan max flow rate should be the same.  The
fan min
flow rate is set by the min flow rate of the terminal untis.  This is
all just
continuity.  Look at your system diagram and once you know the flow
rates of
the terminal units, then you can figure out the flow rates for the
other
components.  Or you can use the sizing features to set these values for
you.

Mike

On 2 Jun 2004, at 9:03, pizzaalan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure how to choose max flow rate for air loop main branch,
> (1.3 m3/s in example), max plant loop volumetric flow rate (0.0011
> m3/s in example), max damper air flow rate (0.47 m3/s).
>
> Also, I am not sure how to pick up pump ( pump head? rated
> volumetric flow rate), Fan max & min flow rate?
>
> I will appreciate if anyone gives me a guide. Thanks.
>
> Alan

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
appropriate folder

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to: