Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] max iteration problem

Hello,
I have looked at this problem and found that all or many of your Max
Iteration errors can be eliminated by increasing the convergence tolerance
on your controllers.  Here are the original values that you had for the
controllers:

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Cooling Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Reverse,                 !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Cooling Coil Water In,   !- Actuator_Node
     0.002,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0000001;               !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Heating Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Normal,                  !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Main Heating Coil 1 Water Inlet Node,  !- Actuator_Node
     0.002,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0000001;               !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

These values created over 350 Max Iteration warnings.  Then the values were
changed to:

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Cooling Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Reverse,                 !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Cooling Coil Water In,   !- Actuator_Node
     0.001,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0000001;               !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Heating Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Normal,                  !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Main Heating Coil 1 Water Inlet Node,  !- Actuator_Node
     0.001,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0000001;               !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

The errors were reduced to over 50 Max iteration warnings.

When I changed the values to:

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Cooling Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Reverse,                 !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Cooling Coil Water In,   !- Actuator_Node
     0.0001,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0;                       !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

CONTROLLER:SIMPLE,
     Central Heating Coil Contoller 1,  !- Name
     TEMP,                    !- Control variable
     Normal,                  !- Action
     FLOW,                    !- Actuator variable
     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node,   !- Control_Node
     Main Heating Coil 1 Water Inlet Node,  !- Actuator_Node
     0.0001,                   !- Controller Convergence Tolerance: delta
temp from setpoint temp {deltaC}
     autosize,                !- Max Actuated Flow {m3/s}
     0.0;                       !- Min Actuated Flow {m3/s}

Then all of the Max Iteration warnings were eliminated.  What was happening
was that on 1 iteration the controller converged on the air loop setpoint
at 12.998C and the next time it was 13.002.  Both values are within the
0.002 convergence tolerance of 13.0C, but greater than the sub-loop
tolerances between the Air Loop and the Zone Equipment Manager.  Since you
have an outside Air System the sensitivities of the loop mass flow rate can
be enhanced or decreased by the weather file and that is why it was not
there for Chicago, but there with Minneapolis.  Once you have determined
that your Max Iteration warnings are due to controller convergence
tolerance you can be confident that these warnings will not effect your
results even if you loosen them up a little.

Thanks
Dr. Richard Liesen
Associate Director, Building Systems Laboratory
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering