Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] question about translating DOE-2 coordinates to energy plus

The DOE-2 translator is intended to do most of the work in translating DOE-2.1E
 building geometry, wall constructions, internal loads and schedules into
EnergyPlus input.  The use will often need to edit either the resulting imf or
epmidf file to make a working EnergyPlus file.  Please see specific responses
below.

On 29 Jun 2004, at 10:27, Zhang, Weihua wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on translating a DOE-2 residential building prototype to Energy
> Plus. There are only two zones in this residential building, and they are
> Attic-1 and Living-1. The ceiling for the Living-1 is the floor for the Attic-1.
> In DOE-2, this is doable, and the code for the ceiling described in the space of
> Living-1 looks like this:
>
> CEILIN-1  INTERIOR-WALL $ no stud
>                CONSTRUCTION = CEILN-1
>                AREA =  1858.500122070
>                TILT = 0.0
>                NEXT-TO = ATTIC-1 ..
>
> CEILIN-2  INTERIOR-WALL  $ with stud
>                CONSTRUCTION = CEILS-1
>                AREA =  206.500000000
>                TILT = 0.0
>                NEXT-TO = ATTIC-1 ..
>
> I encounter several problems when the translation program converted the codes
> above to Energy Plus. First, the error file tells me that no floor exists in the
> Attic -1. So I copy these codes and put them in the space describing Attic-1.
> Even though I changed the tilt, Energy Plus error file still says that no floor
> exists in Attic-1.  How do I make Energy Plus think that the ceiling is the
> floor for Attic-1? second, there is a severe error in the error files that goes
> like this:
>
> ** Severe  ** CAUTION -- Interzone surfaces are usually in different zones
>    **   ~~~   ** Surface=CEILIN-1, Zone=ATTIC-1
>    **   ~~~   ** Surface=CEILIN-1-ADJACENT, Zone=ATTIC-1
>    ** Severe  ** CAUTION -- Interzone surfaces are usually in different zones **
>      ~~~   ** Surface=CEILIN-2, Zone=ATTIC-1 **   ~~~   **
>    Surface=CEILIN-2-ADJACENT, Zone=ATTIC-1
> This may have to do with the fact that Energy Plus doesn't realize the ceiling
> is the floor in Attic-1. Also, when a CELIN-1 and CELIN-2 were translated from
> DOE-2 to Energy Plus, the translation program adds another two surface
> CEILIN-1-ADJACENT and CEILIN-2-ADJACENT as OutsideFaceEnvironment Object. Is
> that a problem?

In DOE-2.1E, an interzone surface is described only once.  The DOE2 Translator
will duplicate the surface description for EnergyPlus.  You do not need to
repeat the ceiling description in the Attic zone of the DOE-2 input.  The
reason EnergyPlus is complaining that there are no floors is that the ceiling
surface is an "INTERIOR-WALL" in the DOE-2 input.  The translator does not know
it is a floor or ceiling, so the translated surfaces are:

Surface:HeatTransfer,
    CEILIN-1,
    WALL,

Change "WALL" to "FLOOR" in the imf file and the warnings that the attic has no
floor should go away.

> also a problem for me is the code for floor in Living-1. The code in DOE-2 is
> this:
>
> FLOOR-1      UNDERGROUND-WALL
>                    CONSTRUCTION=SLAB-1
>                    AREA=2065.000000
>                    TILT=180 ..
>
> Because UNDERGROUND-WALL cannot be translated by the translation program, this
> has become a obstacle for me. I tried to changed the UNDERGROUND-WALL  to
> interior wall, but Energy Plus still says that no floor exists in Living-1.

Again, the translator does not know this is a floor.  Change the surface type
from "WALL" to "FLOOR" in the imf file.

Mike

> I have attached the DOE-2 input file (case0m-2.inp) and the converted Energy
> Plus input files (case0m-2.imf), along with the error files when I run the
> Energy Plus simulation.
>
> the attached file is a zip file containing all these files I mentioned.
>
> wei

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> Yahoo! Groups Links