[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Forcing system behavior

Thanks Mike,

Can I ask one further question re: zone temperatures and unmet demand.

If the unmet demand is zero, then I should have enough capacity in
the plant loop.

I have a fixed zone cooling setpoint of 23C.  But in some of our
simulations we see zone air temperatures that are several degrees
above our setpoint.  If the capacity is there, why would my zone air
temp be off the setpoint?

Thanks again,
Shaun Martin

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
<mjwitte@g...> wrote:
> 1.  If the air loop outlet setpoint is not being met, then the coil
capacity or
> chilled water flow rate or chiller capacity is not adequate.  Which
cooling
> coil model are you using?  Use COIL:Water:Cooling or
> COIL:Water:DetailedFlatCooling.  COIL:Water:SimpleCooling does not
always
> deliver adequate capacity under certain conditions (this model will
not be
> available in the next release).
>
> 2.  It is very difficult to get a hybrid forced air/radiant system
to behave as
> desired with current EnergyPlus control options.  In your case, if
you want the
> radiant system to modulate, then why use a VAV air system?  Perhaps
a constant
> volume system would be better.  Also, you should set the air system
to run as
> the first cooling priority, so the radiant system can pick up the
remaining
> load.  Alternatively, perhaps the VAV system is oversized?  If it
is sized
> smaller so that it cannot meet the entire cooling load, then it
will open to
> full flow, thus supplying a constant volume of air.
>
> 3.  With cool surfaces for radiant slabs, it would be expected that
comfort is
> maintained at higher dry bulb temperatures.  Check all of the
comfort inputs to
> make sure thay are appropriate (clothing, activity level, air
velocity).

> 4.  These unmet demands are why #1 is happening.  The chiller plant
is not able
> to meet the load, so the chilled water supply temperature rises,
and then the
> coil cannot meet the supply air setpoint.  Everything is
simultaneous in
> EnergyPlus, so unmet demands result in unmet setpoints.
>
> 5.  Zone/Sys Sensible Heating (and Cooling) do not include radiant
slab system
> loads.  (I see we need to clarify the definition of this, or change
the way it
> is reported.)  Also, if there is outside air, that will place a
load on the
> cooling coil which is not included in the load delivered to the
zone.

> Mike
>

> On 1 Dec 2004, at 20:48, sm278424 wrote:
>

> > Hi, again,
> >
> > I'm modeling a single zone with a VAV system and a radiant panel.
> > control the mixed air temp, HC water inlet and CC water inlet
with
> > the AIR LOOP OUTLET node, which is controlled by a SETPOINT
MANAGER