Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Questions about the Coil Model

Just to clarify regarding part load.  Latent loads are not neglected, but the
PLR is calculated based on the sensible portion of the load delivered divided
by full-load sensible capacity.

Mike

On 24 Mar 2005, at 13:15, Richard Raustad wrote:

> See comments below:
>
> deserteagle_zhou wrote:
>

> > Hi,all,
> > I have two questions about the  DX Coil Model .
> > 1.For the DX Coil Model -- DX Cooling Coil Model, there is a
> > sentence in the EngineeringDoc.Doc ,¡°The total cooling capacity
> > modifier curve (function of flow fraction) is a quadratic curve with
> > the independent variable being the ratio of the actual air flow rate
> > across the cooling coil to the rated air flow rate (i.e., fraction
> > of full load flow).¡±  The ¡° the actual air flow rate across the
> > cooling coil¡± seems to be a mean value in a timestep.What does that
> > mean exactly?
>
> You are correct, the air flow rate reported by EnergyPlus is an
> "average" value for the
> simulation time step when the DX system's fan cycles on and off to meet
> the sensible cooling load.
> This average value is determined by the air flow rate across the cooling
> coil when the fan is on
> multiplied by the fraction of the time step the fan operated. So the
> "actual air flow rate across the
> cooling coil" referred to above means the air flow rate when the fan was
> on, NOT the average
> reported each time step.
>
> > How can I define the "the actual air flow rate
> > "  from the manufacture's catalogue data in order to get the
> > modifier coeficient?
>
> Manufacturers provide a rating for air conditioning systems at some
> nominal air
> flow rate and some "rated" inlet air condition. At this nominal air flow
> rate and "rated" inlet air
> condition, the manufacturer states a gross and/or net cooling capacity.
> Be careful to use the
> gross cooling capacity as stated by the manufacturer. If the
> manufacturer only provides a net
> cooling capacity, the fan heat must be subtracted to yield a gross
> cooling capacity
> (gross cooling capacity is higher than net cooling capacity).
>
> For this example, lets say its 1000 W gross cooling capacity at 2 m3/s
> nominal air flow rate and
> at a "rated" inlet air condition of 26.7 C dry-bulb and 19.4 C wet-bulb
> when the outdoor temperature
> is 35 C.
>
> The manufacturer also provides performance data tables at air flow rates
> different from the nominal
> air flow rate. Find the "rated" cooling capacity in the chart and note
> the "rated" inlet air conditions.
>
> So at indoor conditions of 26.7 C dry-bulb / 19.4 C wet-bulb and 35 C
> outdoor temperature we have
> from the performance data table:
>
> Air flow (m3/s)        Capacity (W)
>     2.0                    1000     *** rating point ***
>     1.5                     850
>     1.0                     657
>
> Next this data has to be normalized to 1 at the rating point as follows:
>
> Divide the air flow column by the rated air flow (2.0 in this example) and
> [...]

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx