Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Request for sample idf files for simple inclined surface with pv module

There are two standard example files with PV, GeneratorswithPV.idf and
TranspiredCollectors.idf, which show a variety of different PV options.

I am not the PV expert, but my understanding is that the incident solar can
only be reported using the standard heat transfer surface report variables such
as "Surface Ext Solar Incident".  This would require attaching the PV panels to
a heat transfer surface which would need to be part of a dummy zone which has a
high infiltration rate to approximate being fully exposed to the outdoors on
both sides.  This would be fine for the area of the PV panel since that part i
opaque.

If I understand correctly, the screen extends beyond the area of the PV panel?
The exposed screen areas can be described as shading surfaces with a
transmittance schedule greate than zero to allow some solar to pass through.

Mike

On 16 Jun 2005, at 17:40, Stephen K Wittkopf wrote:

> Dear Support Team,
>
> I'd appreciate to get a sample file to help me running PV related energy
> production simulation.
>
> Assume a simple construction where 4 PV moduls are mounted on a slanted
> screen which is located on an unobstructed roof of a building. The
> slanted screen is 2m wide and 4m height and tilted 75 from horizontal.
> each pv module size is about 0.4m wide and 3m height, all 4 amounting to
> 1.6x3m PV area centered on the top of the screen. the screen is actually
> a mesh and the pv module is laminated on a 0.5mm steel plate. the PV
> modules face west.
>
> I'm interested in the incident solar radiation falling onto the PV
> modules and the resulting energy generated by it. I shall start with a
> fixed efficiency of 6% and runperiod of one year using a weather data
> file. since i will be arraying this construction, there may be some PV
> modules that receive lower radiation because of being slighty shaded by
> other.
>
> I need to know how to define the geometry of the screen surface and
> properties of the PV panel, and how to get a report stating the
> radiation and energy generation for each PV module accumulated monthly.
> I need to also know which surface type shall be used so as to account
> for shading effects if the constructions are lined up to close.
>
> In a second file i'd like to have the fixed efficiency replaced by a
> real Pv module type that is part of your list (Unisolar PLV 64).
>
> wow, that wish list comes a bit early for christmas, but I hope to
> receive the two idf files from you. maybe you upload as it may be of
> interest for others as well.
>
> thanks a lot.
> Stephen
>
> Thanks and regards
> Dr. Stephen K. Wittkopf
> Assistant Professor
> www.arch.nus.edu.sg/akiskw
>
> National University of Singapore, Department of Architecture
> 4 Architecture Drive, Singapore 117566
>
> Direct Line: +65 6874 3481, Fax: +65 6779 3078

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.