[EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Plus-Starting point

Hello

I am new in building simulation.
I've started reading the "Information necessary to run Energy Plus"
chapter in the "gettingstarted..."" manual, and I´ve a question
about the way we zone a site.
In the manual:

The general rule then is to use the number of fan systems (and
radiant systems) not the number
of rooms to determine the number of zones in the building. The
minimum number of zones in
a general simulation model will usually be equal to the number of
systems serving the
building.
Five systems were designed to serve the Ft. Monmouth Education
Center.

System
Number       System Name                CFM     Zone Served
1            Four Pipe Fan Coil         3900     Zone 1
1            Four Pipe Fan Coil        2500      zonre 2
2           Single Zone Draw Through    400       Zone 3
3            Single Zone Draw Through   2250      Zone 5
4          Single Zone Draw Through     2450     Zone 6
5            Unit Heater                185      Zone 4
5                Unit Heater             41      Zone 7

What fan systems do the text refer?
Is it the minimun requirement for ventilation porpose?
If not how can we have a fan system flow rate, if we still don't
know the loads involved?
What will come first: Zoning, or fan system design?
Is not the Energy Plus the starting point for the design process?

What am I missing here?

Thank very much in advance,

Vítor