Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: QUESTION ON AIR COOLED CONDENSER INLET TEMPERATURE

For some reason the chiller is operating on the winter design day. Check
the output for the winter design day to determine the reason that the
chiller is turning on. Schedules for WinterDesignDay may inadvertently
represent a much greater load than will be actually used during the
winter simulation. For example, a schedule for equipment loads may look
like this:

  ELECTRIC EQUIPMENT,
    North Zone,              !- Zone Name
    EquipmentSch,            !- SCHEDULE Name
    5000.0,                  !- Design Level {W}
    0.0000000E+00,           !- Fraction Latent
    0.3000000,               !- Fraction Radiant
    0.0000000E+00,           !- Fraction Lost
    0;                       !- End-Use Category

  SCHEDULE:COMPACT,
    EquipmentSch,            !- Name
    Fraction,                !- ScheduleType
    Through: 12/31,
    For: WeekDays,
    Until: 8:00, 0.0,
    Until: 18:00, 0.5,
    Until: 24:00, 0.0,
    For: WeekEnds,
    Until: 24:00, 0.0,
    For: AllOtherDays,
    Until: 24:00, 1.0;

This schedule layout would simulate equipment operating at 50% capacity
from 8am to 6pm on weekdays and off on weekends during the actual
simulation. All other days (Holidays, SummerDesignDay, WinterDesignDay,
CustomDay1, CustomDay2) will operate the equipment at full capacity 24
hrs per day. A more realistic schedule would turn off the equipment on a
winter design day and turn on the equipment on a summer design day to
determine the extreme loads for adequate equipment sizing:

  ELECTRIC EQUIPMENT,
    North Zone,              !- Zone Name
    EquipmentSch,            !- SCHEDULE Name
    2500.0,                  !- Design Level {W}
    0.0000000E+00,           !- Fraction Latent
    0.3000000,               !- Fraction Radiant
    0.0000000E+00,           !- Fraction Lost
    0;                       !- End-Use Category

  SCHEDULE:COMPACT,
    EquipmentSch,            !- Name
    Fraction,                !- ScheduleType
    Through: 12/31,
    For: WeekDays,
    Until: 8:00, 0.0,
    Until: 18:00, 1.00,
    Until: 24:00, 0.0,
    For: WeekEnds,
    Until: 24:00, 0.0,
    For: WinterDesignDays,
    Until: 24:00, 0.0;
    For: AllOtherDays,
    Until: 24:00, 1.0;

Make sure your schedules are not the cause for chiller operation on the
winter design day. This applies to occupancy, lighting, and equipment
schedules as well. The schedules you use for simulation are very
powerful and represent to the best of your knowledge the actual
operation of the building in question. Although the operation of
chillers during winter months is dependent on the building being
simulated, it is possible to require cooling during the colder months of
the year. An architect or engineer would then assure the proper type of
cooling equipment such that the equipment would not be damaged if
operated on these cold days (the reason for the warning you are seeing).
If the equipment actually operates during the winter months consider
switching to a water-cooled chiller or contact manufacturers to
determine the correct capacity and EIR curves for this climate (include
the impact of emergency heaters on chiller performance [you can then
disregard the warnings]). As I said before, EnergyPlus does not
currently support freeze protection for chillers and it is up to the
user to provide the correct performance curves for the specific application.