Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Internal Windows

EnergyPlus is supposed to model this type of situation.  All surfaces in
EnergyPlus have an inside temperature and an outside temperature, even if the
construction is a single material layer.  I would suggest a test replacing the
interior window with an opaque door subsurface which has a material layer with
the same thickness, conductivity, and density as the glass layer.  Do you see
similar surface temperatures?  If you unable to resolve this, please uplaod the
zipped idf file to the yahoo files area in the Problem Submittals folder.

Mike

On 28 Sep 2005, at 8:03, dan_grunbaum wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just wanted to elaborate a little on my previous question.
> I am attempting to model a commercial building which has a glazed
> atrium surrounding it. It is intended for the office space to open to
> the atrium or there may be a glazing layer sperating the office and
> the atrium and therefore I need solar radiation to transmit from the
> exterior, through the atrium and into the office space.
>
> If I model this with no partition seperating the atrium and office
> space, the office space receives no solar radiation (using a solar
> distribution of full exterior and interior). I have therefore tried
> to model the partion with glass attached which is nearly 100%
> transparent for all wavelengths and highly conductive. I am assuming
> that internal windows seperating zones need to be specified twice for
> the same reason that partitions seperating zones need to be.
>
> While this allows solar penetration, on a hot day the temperature of
> the glass assigned to the partition of the atrium is a lot hoter than
> the temperature of the corresponding glass associated with the office
> space (41 degrees compared to 29 degrees. at this time the atrium is
> at 47 and the office space is being conditioned to 24). As the glass
> is theoretically one layer, I would have expected there temperatures
> to be close or the same due to the conductivity of glass.
>
> This is resulting in a much lower cooling load for the office than
> expected.
>
> Am I modelling this scenario wrongly or is EP unable to model it
> correctly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support