RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Problem with CHILLER:CONST COP in Cooling Tower example

Hi Patrik and Christian,

>From your mail, It seems that there could be some thing wrong in the Constant COP chiller. I will look into the file uploaded by Patrik and check to see if the model is working properly. If not I will post a change request regarding the same so that it will be rectified.

Thanks for pointing out the potential bug

Sankar
S.K.Padhmanabhan
Research Associate
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Oklahoma State University,
Stillwater, OK - 74075
Ph: (405)744-4380

________________________________

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of christian1855
Sent: Fri 10/21/2005 6:23 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Problem with CHILLER:CONST COP in Cooling Tower example

Dear Sankar,
I tested the example CoolingTower.idf which comes with E+1.2.3.
It runs without any problems in the delivered configuration (only one
chiller is working).
Now I tried to run 2 chillers in parallel, so I made the following
changes:
-) used 'All Chillers' instead of 'Electric Only' in the 'COOLING LOAD
RANGE BASED OPERATION' object 'Peak Operation' and 'Off Peak
Operation'
-) changed the order of equipments in the 'PLANT EQUIPMENT LIST' 'All
Chillers': Now the 'Little Chiller' is the first element and the 'Big
Chiller' is the second.

This results in following error:
   ** Severe  ** CalcConstCOPChillerModel: Condenser flow = 0, for
ElectricChiller=LITTLE CHILLER
   **   ~~~   **  Occurrence info=CHICAGO_IL_USA ANNUAL COOLING 1%
DESIGN CONDITIONS DB/MCWB, 07/21 07:10 - 07:20

Now this is very strange, because the AbsorbtionChilller.idf example,
which have the same configuration, runs without any problems. The only
difference is the used chiller type. The AbsorbtionChilller example
uses a CHILLER:ELECTRIC in parallel to the CHILLER:ABSORPTION.

Therefore, I replaced the CHILLER:COP in the CoolingTower example with
a CHILLER:ELECTRIC, and now the 2 chillers are working in parallel!!!

So it seems that the CHILLER:COP model have a problem to run in
parallel with other chillers.

This is the same problem as reported by Patrik, an colleague at work,
see post 'Re: How many condenser loops' from 21.Oct.2005.
May be, the problem with CHILLER:COP is also the reason for the errors
in the uploaded file chiller_09.30.2005.zip.

Christian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM