From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Elmer Morrissey
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 9:03 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Solar Array with Boiler for DHW

I'm going to try and send this again as the 'Rish Text Editor (Beta)
made a mess of my last attempt...

I've been looking at that example...

On page 821 of the input/output reference document it says...

"In order to realize energy savings with a solar heating system, it
is necessary to use the
WATER HEATER:STRATIFIED object for thermal storage."

To which water heater is this referring to?

I'm trying to emulate a system that uses 6 solar collectors that
provide heating for DHW (similar to the example you highlighted).
The water is initially heated in a vessel @40oC. When the solar
collector does not provide enough heat to heat the water, extra
heating is provided from a separate boiler circuit which also
provides for other disparate systems. This water is then fed into
another water heater which heats the DHW to a final temp of 60oC.
Does anyone have any ideas how I might set up a similar system in
E+.

I would like some advice on how good/bad/awful my proposed is...

Approach (This is only possible if I can make the water heaters do
nothing and impose a control whereby the full load is picked up by
the water heater source. Is that possible?)

Solar Collector -> (temp pickup +) Heat Exchanger #1 ->  Water
Heater #1 @40oC

Boiler -> splitter {
                   (split 1)|-> Heat Exchanger #1

                 (split 2)|-> Water Heater #2 @ 60oC -> DHW

*      I would set the Heat Exchanger #1's efficiency to values
that make it similar to the efficiency of the water heater to boiler
circuit setup. This should emulate a twin source for the water
heater.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kind regards

-Elmer

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ellis, Peter"
<peter_ellis@n...> wrote:

> Hello Elmer,
>
> The example file "SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater.idf" illustrates a
solar hot water system with DHW load, solar collectors, and storage
tank (WATER HEATER:MIXED).  You can connect a boiler, or another
auxiliary WATER HEATER:MIXED (perhaps configured as instantaneous
water heater), in series with the storage tank.