Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Controlling Air Flow rate through HVAC system

This is not easy.  System airflow is governed primarily by the flow requests of
the terminal units.  To accomplish your goal, the easiest approach would
probably be to use the DIRECT AIR terminal unit with a VAV supply fan.  DIRECT
AIR currently has a fixed flow rate, but I expect it would be rather easy to
modify it to allow a schedule multiplier on the flow rate.  If you implement
this change, it might be useful to add in to the release version.

Where did you find a schedule for the minimum air flow rate?

Beware of version 1.2.2.  Bugs have been fixed since that was release.  Review
the Addressed_Issues-V1-2-3-031.htm list to make sure you are not tripping over
any of those issues.

Mike

On 15 Jan 2006 at 2:57, zorba2pi wrote:

> I am working on IEA Annex #46 at Oklahoma State and we are needing to
> control the air flow rate through the HVAC system on a schedule.  I am
> been trying to figure out a way of accomplishing this but so far the
> only I have been able to find is a schedule to turn the system on and
> off and a schedule for the minimum air flow rate.
>
> I was able to modify the source code to allow the fan power to be
> calculated off a schedule, but this "back door" approach will not work
> for everything I need to accomplish?
>
> I don't mind doing a simple modification to the source code, but I
> can't even find where the system flow rate is determined to begin with.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Also, we are using Version 1.2.2 for this case
>
> Thank you,
> Barry Wilson

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support