From: Richard Raustad [mailto:RRaustad@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 February 2006 13:21
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Plant loop objects

There is a difference between a simulation and a real world application.
The simulation strives to simplify the characteristics of a real world
application in order to simplify the inputs. In EnergyPlus, pumps are
considered plant equipment and must be installed on the plant supply
side of the loop. There are only minor differences in pump energy when
considering a single pump serving multiple branches and multiple pumps
serving individual branches, so here you see the simplification used to
minimize the input requirements for this type of water loop.

 From the Eng. Ref. for Pumps:

The water pump is quite simply the component that drives the flow.  How
it reacts depends on several different conditions.  In total, there are
three different decision variables, two of which are defined by user
input.  These three deciding factors are whether the pump is constant or
variable speed, whether the pump operation is continuous or
intermittent, and whether or not there is a load on the loop.  The pump
is simulated first on the supply side loop after the demand side loop
has determined what the demand on the loop will be.  For further
reference look at sections Pump Control for Plant and Condenser Loops,
Plant/Condenser Supply Side, and Plant/Condenser Demand Side in the
Plant Flow Resolver of the Engineering Document.

Tony Baxter wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the response to use a single plant loop.
> There is a problem using a single pump on the supply side, as this
> would not
> represent a real situation where each group of rooms had its own pump.
>
> I am trying to represent a zoned heating system.  We use individual
> rooms as
> Eplus zones.  Our groups of rooms would each have a pump, then these main
> demand side pipes (each with a pump)  would all be joined together to be
> served by the single plant object, as you have advised.
>
> Is it ok to have pumps on the demand side?
>
> Thanks for your advice so far.
>
> Tony Baxter

ogram&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backup+softwa

re+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+software&c=6&s
> =177&.sig=BFI_n2cYW__VOz-DP-LcGg>
> >       Email software program

program&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backup+soft

ware+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+software&c=6
> &s=177&.sig=f865WzxIHHYjchHhNlWwlQ>
> >       Medical software program

e+program&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backup+so

ftware+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+software&c
> =6&s=177&.sig=faA1gfRfwe6W-yJUEymjuA>
> >
> > Backup software program

+program&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backup+sof

tware+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+software&c=
> 6&s=177&.sig=Cmscwy21WzrxVXw4jC0HpQ>
> >       Wedding program software

e+program&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backup+so

ftware+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+software&c
> =6&s=177&.sig=ckPkVufKwCY2o9tsWrlnXQ>
> >       Maintenance program software

tware+program&w2=Email+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Backu

p+software+program&w5=Wedding+program+software&w6=Maintenance+program+softwa
> re&c=6&s=177&.sig=BcCn-ontknprdFYInW_UGA>

> >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

> --
> Richard A. Raustad
> Senior Research Engineer
> Florida Solar Energy Center
> University of Central Florida
> 1679 Clearlake Road
> Cocoa, FL  32922-5703
> Phone:   (321) 638-1454
> Fax:     (321) 638-1439 or 1010
> Visit our web site at: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu
>
> UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
> folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>
> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press
> the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>
> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and
> press the "search" button.

> Backup software program

are+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Email+sof
tware+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+software&c=
6&s=177&.sig=qmnzUUStgtVYGlcaQt3yMw>
> 	Medical software program

ware+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Email+so
ftware+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+software&c
=6&s=177&.sig=BYpa4SYprSR4IAo58Jsyog>
> 	Cad software program

+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Email+softwa
re+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+software&c=6&s
=177&.sig=Fa0wmbfF7LsZ7FduljC76g>

> Email software program

re+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Email+soft
ware+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+software&c=6
&s=177&.sig=IEcMpEZSYjjfiWraURVKjQ>
> 	Maintenance program software

software+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Emai
l+software+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+softwa
re&c=6&s=177&.sig=7jOsrOrnfA-UF06JGXavCA>
> 	Wedding program software

ware+program&w2=Medical+software+program&w3=Cad+software+program&w4=Email+so
ftware+program&w5=Maintenance+program+software&w6=Wedding+program+software&c
=6&s=177&.sig=iFVpuXovWt8O6m4VzTrdTg>