RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] opaque envelopes performances comparison

Emanuele,

It depends on what you mean by "building performances"  -- loads? or the
energy needed to meet those loads?.   A metric of kwh/m2-yr tells me you
want the energy.  For energy, I believe you need HVAC systema and
purchased air isn't enough.   This is especially true if the HVAC
systems are multizone or include economizers for free cooling.   There
can be many hours during the year where economizer-based free cooling
can meet loads and the purchased air model doesn't do very well here.
In a large multizone building you can have some zones requiring heating
while others require cooling and a central air handler can sort of merge
these loads together via the return air.  However, if your HVAC systems
are single zone, ventilation rates are low, and there is no economizer,
then purchased air could be okay.   Try out the COMPACT:HVAC
preprocessor to simplify setting up HVAC systems.

Brent

  _____