RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Time of runs

I would agree that memory may be the issue.  You can check this by monitoring
memory usage in the Windows task manager.

I would add that warm up days should not be changed.  Each environment "warms
up" the thermal history of the building by repeating the first day of the
environment until the results change within the convergence tolerances
specified in the BUILDING object.  The maximum number of warmup days is just an
uppper limit.  The simulation reports the actual number of warmup days in the
eio output file.

If the model has many detached shading surfaces (Surface:Shading:Detached:Fixed
and Surface:Shading:Detached:Building), it may help to turn off the automatic
mirroring of these shading surfaces:

  DIAGNOSTICS, DoNotMirrorDetachedShading;

This must be used with caution.  If DoNotMirrorDetachedShading is specified,
then these surfaces must face toward the building being simulated, because
surfaces only cast shadows in the direction they face.

In general, reducing the total number of surfaces helps speed up the
simulation.

Mike

On 4 Aug 2006 at 13:18, Edward G. Lyon wrote:

> I would say that you have a large model and that you need a fast machine with
> lots of memory to run it.  If you don't have enough memory, the computer
> spends most of its time swapping memory segments with the hard drive rather
> than calculating your program.
>
> If you already have a super machine, I have no other suggestions.  I did find
> that changing the time steps with delighting calculations also affects the
> accuracy of the calculation, so that is a speed trade off.

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx