Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Outputs

Hi Mike,

  Loads of thanks for the reply!!

  Just want to check one little thing about it:
In case I do specify a purchased air with a value different than zero for the outside air I still would have the zone/sys sensible load to cooling setpoint reporting me the cooling coil sensible load only? I mean, does this variable report  only the load when the coil is on? and the zone/sys cooling energy would be giving me the total energy supplied not only when the coil is on but also when it is off and the outside air is cooling the zone? Just to clearly understand the difference between the 2 variables.

  Thanks again for the reply

  Regards,

  Clarice

"Michael J. Witte" <mjwitte@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:
          The zone heat balance includes the impact of VENTILATION before computing the
"Zone/sys sensible load to cooling setpoint predicted". The HVAC system (the
PURCHASED AIR) sees the net load including any increase or decrease in load due
to the VENTILATION air. So, in answer to the specific questions:

1. For PURCHASED AIR (with zero outside air flow in the PURCHASED AIR object),
zone/sys cooling
energy will be reported only when the coils are on.

2. Zone/sys sensible load to cooling setpoint predicted is the load to be
delivered by the HVAC system. VENTILATION objects are not considered to be
part of the HVAC system in EnergyPlus. So, for PURCHASED AIR this is the
cooling coil sensible load.

3. Correct. The mechanical ventilation report variables only report outside
air delivered from an HVAC system, and it only supports systems which are
modeled with an AIR PRIMARY LOOP, not zone equipment.

4. To achieve your goal of detemining the load due to ventilaiton air, three
options come to mind:

a) Do 2 runs, one with VENTILATION and one without.

b) Report the zone/sys sensible cooling load, Zone Ventilation Sensible Heat
Loss, and Zone Ventilation Sensible Heat Gain on an hourly basis. Then you can
analyze the hourly results to determine the benefits and penalties of the
ventilation air.

c) Use COMPACT HVAC and model a unitary system with outside air provided by
the HVAC system. Then the mechanical ventilation report variables will sort
out the load impact of the outside air (cooling load increase, cooling load
decrease, etc.)

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support