Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] heat recovery using generator:combustion turbine

Series arrangements can be tricky (there are some enhancements coming in v1.4
to improve this).  The problem comes in the ACTIVE/PASSIVE specifications for
components along the branch.  If you have set the combustion turbine to be
ACTIVE, try changing it to PASSIVE to see if that helps.

The next thing to try is to move the generator heat recovery nodes to the
outlet branch of the heating coil demand side (PASSIVE again).  If that does
not work, please send the input file and I will ask one of the plant experts to
help.

Mike

On 6 Sep 2006 at 19:26, chudson416 wrote:

> Greetings! I am trying to model heat recovery from a combustion
> turbine generator that does not feed into a storage water heater
> component, but rather it is in series with a Boiler:Simple. All this
> is defined in a single hot water loop on the plant/supply side.  The
> supply portion of the loop consists of a branch with pump, into a
> new branch with the Comp1 Type being GENERATOR:COMBUSTION TURBINE,
> followed by a splitter for the boiler and bypass branches, the
> subsequent mixer, and supply outlet branch (pipe).  All the branches
> are linked by inclusion in a Branch List object.  In the
> GENERATOR:COMBUSTION TURBINE object, the heat recovery nodes are two
> new, unique names.  The design heat recovery water flow rate in the
> Generator object is defined by an earlier run's sizing report
> without the heat recovery branch.
>
> At simulation, E+ starts, initalizes response factors, the HVAC,
> performs the zone sizing simulation, but hangs after indicating
> Calculating System sizing, Initalizing New Environment Parameters,
> Warming up {1}....
> The run has to be aborted manually.
>
> I've tried not to rehash other postings, and the info on heat
> recovery loops in the engineering reference puts the heat into a
> storage water heater. So is the structure described above
> permitted?  If not, is there a way to place heat recovered from a
> generator in series with a conventional (non-storage) heating source
> (e.g., boiler) in a single loop?
>
> Thanks for your help!

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support