Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Design coil load is zero

Filipe madureira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I' m using the EnergyPlus 1.4.0.025 version. Could it be an issue related to
> this program version?

Not likely; but I wanted to look at the code and needed to be sure I was
looking at code that
corresponds to your problem.

For reheat coils, the coil load is calculated using the design heating
flow rate for the zone and
a design air delta T across the coil. The coil inlet temperature is the
"central heating design supply
air temperature" from the System Sizing input. This is 25 C in your
input. The outlet is the
"zone heating design supply air temperature" from your Zone Sizing
input. This is also 25
in your input, so your coil design delta T is zero and the design load
will be zero; which will
cause the design max hot water flow rate to be zero. If you set "central
heating design supply
air temperature" in System Sizing to 16, the same value as your "central
cooling design supply
air temperature" you should get a reasonable result. Unfortunately the
design calculation doesn't
know you don't have a central heatin coil - if it did, it could do
something more intelligent than
using "central heating design supply air temperature" as the coil inlet
temperature in the sizing
calculation.

Fred Buhl
> One more question related to this topic: If I define an Outside Air flow
> rate which will be supplied by the air loop, will it be accounted in zone
> sizing? I'm asking this because I didn't define a central heating coil.

No; the size of the reheat coil is set by the zone design heating load,
the zone design inlet air heating
temperature, and the system design supply air heating temperature, The
outside air will only
affect the size of the central coils, since it impacts the load they see.

Fred Buhl