Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Chilled beams and Hot water convectors

For perimeter hot water convectors, use BASEBOARD HEATER:WATER:CONVECTIVE.  If
you are using a standard unitary or VAV system, you can specify these as part
of the COMPACT HVAC:ZONE:* object.

Chilled beams are more difficult.  The LOW TEMP RADIANT SYSTEM is a starting
point, but it will not produce the same level of convective heat transfer as a
chilled beam would typically have.  You could increase this by setting a high
convection coefficient on the low temp radiant heat transfer surface.  If it is
an active chilled beam with some forced airflow, the induction unit (SINGLE
DUCT:CONST VOLUME:4 PIPE INDUC) might be more appropriate.  The key difference
is whether the particular chiled beam configuration you are modeling is
primarily radiant or convective.

Mike

On 26 Nov 2007 at 19:15, Jun Calixihan wrote:

>  Hello!
>

> I'm new to EnergyPlus idf file editing.  Is there a way to model chilled
> beams in EnergyPlus?  What E+ objects shall I use?  Shall I use LOW TEMP
> RADIANT SYSTEM?  Shall I use this also for hot water convectors in building
> perimeter?  I read the documentation on this but just want to be sure.
>

> Thanks very much!
>
> Jun

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx