From: Mahabir Bhandari <bhandari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:49:53 PM
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] EPlus vs Design Builder - Modelling Air Handling Units with Heat Recovery

Allen,

Here is the definition of purchased air from E+ Input Output Reference
Manual..

Purchased Air

The simplest piece of zone equipment is the Purchased Air component. The
name ?

Purchased Air ? is an analogy with Purchased:Chilled Water and Purchased:Hot
Water. Of

course one can?t normally buy conditioned air. Purchased air is used in
situations where the

user wishes to study the performance of a building with an ideal system. In
such a case,

purchased air is usually the sole conditioning component: the user does not
need to specify

air loops, water loops, etc. All that is needed for the ideal system are
zone controls, zone

equipment configurations, and the purchased air components.

It is not correct that DesignBuilder only uses purchased air . Purchased air
(Simple HVAC) is one of the options. Another option is Compact HVAC. For
more information on Compact HVAC systems, please visit:

http://www.designbu ilder.co. uk/programhelp/ hvac_system_ type.htm

Currently in DesignBuilder, you can't simulate heat recovery with fan coil
units. Heat recovery is used only centralized systems such as VAV with
terminal reheat. This option will be available in version 2.0 (expected to
be released this summer) which will have detailed HVAC option as well.

Regards,

Mahabir Bhandari

_____