From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of JV Dirkes II
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:12 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Setpoint not met during night cycle

Dear Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

Suggestion for future development:
Allow E+ to run for as many consecutive "Cycling run time" cycles as
needed to achieve the setpoint.

If, as is now the case, it shuts off after every cycle and waits for
the next cycle to attempt to reach the setpoint -- it may NEVER reach
the setpoint. This, of course, does not act like any typical control
sequence. It also forces the modeler to experiment with the "Cycling
run time" to make the unoccupied period reasonably close to setpoint,
and even then, it's an approximation that is more accurate / less
accurate depending on the outdoor conditions.

Thanks for all the work you do!

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support%40yahoogroups.com> , Fred Buhl <wfbuhl@...>
wrote:

> It is supposed to run work that way, though as you point out that
> it may not make the most sense.. Thanks for solving your own problrm!
>
> Fred
>
> JV Dirkes II wrote:
> > Dear E+ Forum,
> >
> > After experimenting some more, it appears that the SYSTEM
AVAILABILITY

<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support%40yahoogroups.com> , "JV Dirkes II" <jvd2pe@>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Dear EPlus Forum,
> >>
> >> Please help me determine why my model maintains proper setpoints
> >> during Winter Design Days in the "night" period, but fails to do
so on
> >> other winter days.
> >>
> >> During the night, the setpoints are as expected, the system cycles
on
> >> and off as expected (I'm using a SYSTEM AVAILABILITY MANAGER:NIGHT
> >> CYCLE), but the zone temp is much lower than the setpoint
(including
> >> the thermostat on/off tolerance).
> >>
> >> I'll upload the file....

> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
appropriate folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

> > EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable. Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf
under the Documentation link and press the "search" button.