RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] sketch-up plugins: shared surface of two zones

Hello Chiou,

Your question is not too primitive at all.  Creating interzone
connections is a little bit tricky right now.  I don't think this is
fully explained in the documentation yet, so I will spend a little time
here and hopefully help out a lot of people.

Here are some steps to do interzone connections right:

1.  Both zones must have the "shared" surface drawn in it.  It's very
important that the surface area for both surfaces matches
exactly-otherwise EnergyPlus will complain later when you try to run it.
Usually the best approach to ensure the same area is to make sure all of
the vertices match up for both surfaces.

2.  One way to draw the surfaces so that they match is to first draw the
"target" surface in one zone.  Next, open the other zone for editing and
trace over the target surface with the new "shared" surface.  It's often
necessary to hide other surfaces while you are working so that you can
trace the target surface.  Use the right-click menu item Hide.  When
you're done, use the menu item Edit/Unhide/All to unhide everything.

3.  Now that you have both surfaces, you must set their boundary
conditions so that they are connected.  First, use the Object Info
window to get the names of both surfaces.  Make a note or remember them.
Next, select one of the surfaces and go into the Object Info window.
Set the "Outside Boundary Condition" field to "Other Zone Surface".  Set
the "Outside Boundary Object" field to the name of the target surface
(which you hopefully still remember).  Finally, repeat the same thing
for the other surface.

**A helpful trick for getting to those interior zone walls (other than
using the right-click hide) is to check the "Hide" box next to the "Fade
rest of model" option which can be found via the menu item Window/Model
Info/Components.  With this option, when you edit a zone, all other
zones will be hidden making it much easier to see all of your surfaces.

4.  The surfaces are now connected.  One last thing to check is that the
Construction assignments are compatible.  (Don't worry, if you mess this
up, EnergyPlus will let you know later!)  Let's say our two
interconnected surfaces are A and B.  The construction assigned to A
must have the same material layers as B, but in reverse order.

In a future release, you will not have to assign interzone connections
manually.  Instead, you will just move two zones next to each other (so
that they touch) and the plugin will automatically figure out all of the
details for you.