[EnergyPlus_Support] Asking For a Second Opinion About Model

I am seeking opinions on the validity of my method of calculating internal mass for a model I am studying.

My building has a core zone surrounded by unoccupied shell zones that include glazing (the glass is diffusing).  I must condition the shells to avoid high surface temperatures from solar gains on critical components in the shell zones (I can’t change the building, only the conditioning air).  I ran an initial series of models that included: no internal shell mass, an assumed internal mass, and double the assumed internal mass to get a feel for the internal mass impacts.

The interior mass for the trial analysis was a 6mm steel plate exposed on both sides.  Having internal mass improved my shell zone performance.  Double the mass by increasing thickness made further improvement, but double the mass by increasing the surface area made even more of an improvement.  Consequently I determined that I need reasonable internal mass surface areas for this model to work properly.  My initial mass estimate (area and mass) is only a fraction of what I have in the actual building shell zone.

The actual internal mass is not a wall but a space frame structure composed of round tubular steel members.  I have created internal mass objects with the exterior surface area of the tube (the part that “sees” the zone) and double the wall thickness (the inside of the tube looks at itself and does not exchange with the zone directly).  I have also been conservative in calculating internal mass by using only the primary members of the space frame (about 95% of the total space frame weight) and not including additional cladding attachment steel in the total.

If you have experience with similar modeling and actual building performance I would appreciate your opinion on the potential simulation accuracy.

Thanks in advance…

Ned Lyon
Staff Consultant

SIMPSON GUMPERTZ & HEGER
     | Engineering of Structures and Building Enclosures

41 Seyon Street, Bldg. 1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA 02453

781.907.9000 main
781.907.9350 direct