Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Earth tubes and airflownetwork

Kristin:

Both Earthtube and AirflowNetwork models can not work together right now.
Here are answers to your testing:

1     No airflownetwork objects

As mentioned early, both model can not work together. If both objects
co-exist, the AirflowNetwork mode supersedes the earthtube mode at two
control choices. Since the earthtube objects are not used, the "orphan"
warning is shown up.

2    Warning occur

There are four control choices in the second field of the AirflowNetwork
Simulation object:

MULTIZONE WITH DISTRIBUTION
MULTIZONE WITHOUT DISTRIBUTION
MULTIZONE WITH DISTRIBUTION ONLY DURING FAN OPERATION
NO MULTIZONE OR DISTRIBUTION

When the first two choices are selected, the AirflowNetwork model takes over
airflow calculation. The earthtube objects are not used in the airflow
calculation. The example file of AirflowNetwork_Multizone_SmallOffice.idf
has the first choice. That is why the "orphan" warning occurs.

3    not give me orphan warnings

The example file of AirflowNetwork_Simple_House.idf uses the third choice.
The AirflowNetwork model is only used during HVAC operation time. During
system off time, the earthtube model is used to calculate airflows. That is
why no warning is given.

Thanks.

Lixing