[EnergyPlus_Support] Building Load Calculation by DesignBuilder

Dear All,

I am currently modeling a typical house in the UK to get the annual dynamic building load. I set up the house in DesignBuilder, and the DesignBuilder run the simulation through EnergyPlus, and then load the simulation results back to DesignBuilder. Apparently, that's how DesignBuilder works. Howerver, the building load that I got is far below what I expected. So I decided to try a example house which has already been built in DesignBuilder. Here is the results that I got:

Area: 90 m2

Occupancy: 0.02 person/m2

Lighting: 18.75 W/m2

Equipment (gain): 2 W/m2

Heating: 18.0

Cooling: 25.0

Construction: Part L2 2006, Medium weight

Glazing: PartL2 2006

External Window: 4mm single glazing

Steady-state Heat Loss: 5.12 kW

Heating Design Capacity: 9.25 kW

Annual Heating Load: 5682.22 kWh

Operating Hours: 1110 hrs

Annual Thermal Energy

Heating

DHW

Lighting

Equipment

kWh

kWh

kWh

kWh

Jan

1,104.80

77.88

347.98

225.62

Feb

1,003.44

70.77

303.98

205.91

Mar

709.25

78.97

321.22

231.11

Apr

388.81

75.51

271.13

219.05

May

140.11

77.88

244.36

225.62

Jun

66.14

76.60

243.81

224.55

Jul

16.48

77.88

240.31

225.62

Aug

34.35

78.43

265.78

228.37

Sep

111.01

76.05

294.80

221.80

Oct

347.62

77.88

325.09

225.62

Nov

671.57

76.05

329.22

221.80

Dec

1,088.64

78.43

358.40

228.37

Total

5,682.22

922.33

3,546.08

2,683.44

The annual heating load is around 6,000 kW, but according to CIBSE and other design guildline, we expect the heating load should be around 10,000 kW - 12,000 kW.

Does anyone experience the same problem? And does anyone know what's the methodology that EnergyPlus use to do the building load calculation?

Cheers,

Candy