[EnergyPlus_Support] Diamond-polished concrete floors - thermal mass modeling

My company needs someone to model the thermal mass energy-saving
benefits (compared to carpeted concrete floors)of interior exposed
concrete floors that have been chemically densified, aesthetically
stained, and diamond-polished.

We want to establish a tentative path forward for architects seeking
to obtain LEED points based on the use of these non-carpeted highly
durable concrete floors.  We are giving presentations on this to
groups of architects across the US.

We need someone to model a simple rectangular building with
fundamental passive solar design for the Chicago, Illinois USA
heating-dominated climate (rectangular with the south wall heavily
fenestrated or glass curtain wall, see DOE information below).

I have received a proposal to spend 200 hours doing this, but I
believe what we are seeking can be done in a much shorter time.  All
we want to do is demonstrate the concept that non-carpeted concrete
has greater thermal mass benefits than carpeted concrete -- benefits
that will manifest themselves in a computer modeling scenario.

This should be something that can be done in a few hours by someone
whom we can then recommend to architects for modeling these kinds of
floors on actual LEED projects.

Sincerely,

Paul Grahovac, LEED AP
PROSOCO, Inc.
785-830-7355

Heating-Dominated Climates

In heating-dominated climates, major glazing areas should generally
face south to collect solar heat during the winter when the sun is
low in the sky. In the summer, when the sun is high overhead,
overhangs or other shading devices (e.g., awnings) prevent excessive
heat gain.

To be effective, south-facing windows usually must have a solar heat
gain coefficient (SHGC) of greater than 0.6 to maximize solar heat
gain during the winter, a U-factor of 0.35 or less to reduce
conductive heat transfer, and a high visible transmittance (VT) for
good visible light transfer.

Windows on east-, west-, and north-facing walls are reduced in
heating climates, while still allowing for adequate daylight. East-
and west-facing windows are limited because it is difficult to
effectively control the heat and penetrating rays of the sun when it
is low in the sky. These windows should have a low SHGC and/or be
shaded. North-facing windows collect little solar heat, so they are
used just to provide useful lighting.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/windows_doors_skylight
s/index.cfm/mytopic=13360