Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Solar radiation components in Bin weather file

You don't work directly with the *.BIN file. There is the doewth program that comes with DOE-2 that
packs, i.e., converts from a standard weather file format, such as TMY2, WYEC2, etc., to a *.BIN file.
I believe the WeatherConverter program in EnergyPlus has similar capabilities.

If you want to look at or change the contents of a *.BIN file, there are also two simple programs,
 fmtwth2 and wthfmt2 (written by Fred!), that convert the *.BIN format to a redable *.FMT format, and back again.
However, I do not recommend writing a *.FMT file from scratch, since you will then have to calculate such
variables as wet-bulb temperature, absolute humidity, and enthalpy, in addition to adding the solar.

The approach I took was driven by the need to add solar values to raw data that did not have any measured solar.
Consequently, I first put the raw data into the TMY2 format, pack them into *.BIN files with no solar,
and then used DOE-2 to calculate the solar angles and run the empirical solar models to calculate
the global horizontal and direct normal radiation, that were then spliced into either the *.TMY2 or *.FMT files.
The *.TMY2 files were then converted to *.EPW, and the *.FMT to *.BIN.

If you are working with measured solar, then you don't need the second step, and can go directly from
the raw data to either a *.EPW using the WeatherConverter or a *.BIN file using doewth.

Joe