Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: opening factors and ventilation control mode

Astrid:

My answers will follow your questions.

> control mode "temperature", and as far as I understood it, the
> settings at "airflownetwork:multizone:zone" define the window opening
> percentage in relation to the temperature difference, right?

A: Your understand is correct.

> the settings in "airflownetwork:multizone:component detailed opening"
> opening factor 1 defines the smallest opening angle/width and 4 the
> largest, correct?

A: Yet, it is correct. The largest number is determined by the number you
enter in the Number of sets of Opening Factor Data field. The maximum is 4
and the minimum is 2.

> largest, correct? So "airflownetwork:multizone:zone" defines, how the
> opening percentage varies in between. But what effect do opening
> factor 2 and 3 have in this case?

The opening factor is calculated based on given conditions in either
airflownetwork:multizone:zone or airflownetwork:multizone:Surface. Then the
opening factor is used in a subroutine to deal with the
AirflowNetwork:Multizone:Component:DetailedOpening object. The subroutine
first checks two sets of opening factor data to make  "the opening factor i
<= opening factor <= the opening factor i+1". For example, the opening
factor 1 is 0, opening factor 2 is 0.2, and opening factor 3 is 1.0. The
calculated opening factor is 0.6. Therefore, it is located between factor
data sets 2 (0.2) and 3 (1.0). Then other values of discharge coefficient,
...., will be linearly interpolated between data sets 2 and 3. Detailed
description is given in the Group Airflow Network in the InputOutput
Reference.

> What I want to do is, using a different maximum opening angle of the
> window in summer and in winter, so I was hoping this would be possible
> by using an additional opening factor...
> Hope this explains my question better?

You can not change any values defined in the
AirflowNetwork:Multizone:Component:DetailedOpening objects during time.
However, you can change schedule values defined in the Ventilation Control
Zone Temperature Setpoint Schedule Name field in either
airflownetwork:multizone:zone or airflownetwork:multizone:Surface to meet
your needs.

Thanks.

Lixing