Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Simulation of a water pipe

Stefano:

The pipe does both conductive and convective heat losses.  The significance of these will depend on your configuration.  If you use insulation on your pipe, the conductive heat transfer resistance will be much higher than the convective resistance, and vice-versa.  I took the example file for the pipe:outdoor object, change the insulation and pipe steel conductivity to both higher values, and noticed a significant change in the heat transfer rate.  In the overall scheme of the plant, the chiller loads were not altered drastically, but the pipe heat transfer changed up to 10 fold.  If you play around with your parameters, you should notice similar effects.

Edwin