Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] creating 'real' weather files - Wind/solar data

I'm not sure how you got out of that document that EnergyPlus calculates the radiation values...

Yes, for design days, the simple (now out of date) ASHRAE clearsky algorithm is used.  And some other algorithms can be used (caveat emptor)

And yes, the weather converter will try to supply radiation values but again, the algorithm used may or may not be accurate.  Mostly weather data comes in tact or with at least two of the important components for solar radiation (Global Horizontal, Direct Normal or Horizontal, and Diffuse Horizontal).

Accurate "estimates" for other solar radiation are being investigated but often the data that is needed for accurate calculations is not supplied by the weather stations.

EnergyPlus Development Team