RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: winter design day

Dear Jerry,

Hoping that you're still around, I'll mention one more thing.

A "design day" is supposed to reflect a condition which will only occur, say, less than 1% of the heating or cooling season.  The heating season is easier to discuss, since heating systems are concerned primarily with temperature loss through the building envelope or infiltration, both of which are temp-dependent.  Moisture is assumed to be close to zero in the outdoor air for cold climates.

The goal is make darn sure your client does not get cold and send their attorney over to ask why they're cold after spending all that money to have you design or build their facility!

That said, MOST heating (and cooling) systems are over-designed for a variety of reasons.  You always have the option of making a more careful load calculation and one possible way to do this is to run E+ and see where the actual peak load occurs for the weather pattern you're using.  Keep in mind, though, that TMY data is NOT a real weather year for any particular year.

Early in my career, I designed a heating system with NO safety factor and it turned out to be a bit too small.  I and others in my firm spent many hours trying to figure out where the error was (calcs or construction), but ended up supplementing the heating system at our expense.  Not a happy situation!  Since then, my philosophy for heating system design has been something like "Make it plenty big, with great part-load efficiency".

p.s., Rather than "harsh", think "concise".  Most folk on this forum are trying to contribute insights while in the midst of many other responsibilities. As a newbie myself, I have been very grateful for the answers I've received from the rest of the forum, even though some of my questions could have been answered with much less patience due to myself making dumb errors.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504