Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Converting DOE-2 Chiller curves to EnergyPlus

It is a little tricky to convert these curves in a spreadsheet. I have
done this before and it is always good to check your work by "testing"
the DOE and Energyplus curves with F and C temperature data to see if
you get the same answer with both curves. When developing curves, always
check the Engineering Reference to make sure you know what the
independent variables are. The reformulated EIR chiller model uses
"leaving" condenser water temp, so always be careful when doing this. In
a spreadsheet, set up these equations and use [(T-32)/1.8] and
[(T+32)*1.8]*[(T+32)*1.8] in the required places. Then multiply out
these equation until you are left with just the T's with a coefficient
and all other constants are combined with the equation constant (a)..

For example, b*CWSf = b*[(CWSc+32)*1.8] = b*1.8 * CWSc + b*32*1.8. The
"b*32*1.8" becomes part of the new constant a. Do this type of
conversion on the whole equation.

When you finalize the new Energyplus coefficients, test both the DOE and
Energyplus curve outputs by multiplying out the equation with the
corresponding temperature (F or C) to see that they match. You will
probably find a mistake in this step and can then revise the conversion
until you get the same answer with both curves. When the answers match,
you know you have the correct coefficients. Once this spreadsheet is
correct, all you have to do is enter the coefficients for a new chiller,
and you will automatically calculate the Energyplus coefficients (so set
up your spreadsheet to this will be easy the next time). I just looked
and I can not find the spreadsheet I used before.

 From the IDD for Chiller:Electric:EIR:
  A2 , \field Cooling Capacity Function of Temperature Curve Name
       \object-list BiquadraticCurves
       \note curve = a + b*CWS + c*CWS**2 + d*ECT + e*ECT**2 + f*CWS*ECT
       \note CWS = supply (leaving) chilled water temperature(C)
       \note ECT = entering condenser fluid temperature(C)
  A3 , \field Electric Input to Cooling Output Ratio Function of
Temperature Curve Name
       \note Electric Input Ratio (EIR) as a function of temperature
       \note EIR = 1/COP
       \object-list BiquadraticCurves
       \note curve = a + b*CWS + c*CWS**2 + d*ECT + e*ECT**2 + f*CWS*ECT
       \note CWS = supply (leaving) chilled water temperature(C)
       \note ECT = entering condenser fluid temperature(C)
  A4 , \field Electric Input to Cooling Output Ratio Function of Part
Load Ratio Curve Name
       \note Electric Input Ratio (EIR) as a function of Part Load Ratio
(PLR)
       \note EIR = 1/COP
       \object-list QuadraticCurves
       \note quadratic curve = a + b*PLR + c*PLR**2
       \note PLR = part load ratio (cooling load/steady-state capacity)

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years