RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] External walls thermal inertia

Dear Hanan,

Yes DesignBuilder calculates thermal mass data but in the current release it is not easy to get the output. In the next version, thermal mass will be displayed on the constructions dialog on the Calculated tab as a Km value in KJ/m2/K. Also, thermal mass will be included in the CSV report as Km x area for each surface so you can sum the values for the whole zone/building. Km is defined in prEN 13790 as a standard measure of thermal mass as measured from the inside.

Km Definition (from BRE SBEM manual):

Calculate the contribution of each layer of construction by calculating: density (kg/m3) x thickness (m) x specific heat capacity (kJ/(kgK)).

Starting from the layer of the construction closest to the space (i.e., from the interior), add these values together until any one of the following conditions is satisfied:

    the total thickness of layers exceeds 0.1 metres

    you have reached the mid-point of the construction

    you have reached an insulating layer (defined as having a conductivity of 0.08W/mK)

This new version should be available in beta test form next week. Look out for v2.1.0.052 or later.

Regards,

Andy