[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: calculating emissivity of materials

Wait a minute. This is not correct. The emissivity and the absorptivity of any material is wavelength dependant. This is why E+ gives us the option of specifying the absorptivity at three different wavelength ranges. In building science, people often simply refer to "absorptivity" when they mean the "absorptivity at the solar frequencies" and the "emissivity" when they mean "emissivity at the thermal frequencies". This is why these values are not related - incorrect use of terminology.

However, Kirchhoff's law of thermal radiation states that for an opaque body in thermal equilibrium, the emissivity = the absorptivity at a particular wavelength. It is the last part that is important in this discussion. E+ assumes that within the range of wavelengths specified, the absorptivity = the emissivity which is a reasonable assumption. But the absorptivity in the thermal band is not related to the absorptivity in the solar band which is where the low-e paints come in. The thermal absorptivity/emissivity of most materials (including a painted surface) is about 0.9 no matter what the solar and visible absorptivity/emissivity is.

The question I have is why does E+ have a specific field for entering the solar absorptivity and one for the visible absorptivity given that the visible spectrum is contained within the solar spectrum. How does it use these different values?

By the way, room temperature is about 300K not 40K.

Talk to you later,
Phil.