RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Controlling Heating Discharge Temperature

You might consider switching to a “built-up” air handler instead of Unitary so you can control the heating coil with setpoints placed on the coil outlet.   Unitary system is hard-wired to try and meet the zone’s load.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edward G. Lyon
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 3:25 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Controlling Heating Discharge Temperature

Well this situation is a little more complex, because this is a direct fired gas heater. The air flow remains constant, but I have data showing that the unit can't heat to the rated capacity. If I mess with efficiency (don't know where to poke to change it anyway, the field equipment derating is not constant but varies with outdoor temperature) I loose total gas used and no longer have a simple relationship for added moisture.

Ned Lyon, P.E. (MA)
Staff Consultant

Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
781.907.9000 main