RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] LEED compliance modeling.

Dear Phyl,

·         I use DesignBuilder for the geometry and materials generation.

·         I keep a library of E+ IDF info for each ASHRAE 90.1 baseline system, and then edit it to suit using a spreadsheet template which aids in adding zones and creating node and system names that are easily understood.

·         For the “proposed” systems, I modify the DesignBuilder model to get materials consistent with the actual design, then create the new HVAC systems (often using previously-created systems as a starting point)

I think you’re well advised to think about the work flow!  Recently, I’ve been doing way too much backtracking and revising of models because I was not careful while preparing the initial model.

On a related note, one of my current clients did not get actual equipment sizes nailed down until about 3 days before construction documents release for bids … and I was supposed to have the “proposed” systems modeled a week later.  Didn’t quite make it.

You can waste a LOT of time by doing the work with incomplete information or by not paying attention to the efficiency of the process.  I’ve started a manual to guide my efforts and other BPT people so we “git ‘er done” with high quality and as fast as possible, but it still needs a lot of work.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504