RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: ASHRAE Compliant Fans and Pumps

Dear Jeannie,

First, a qualifier: I am not familiar with modeling of naturally ventilated buildings, so what I say below is my opinion based on what I know about mechanically ventilated systems and may need more research. (That means YOU may be more knowledgeable than I!)

Second, a few thoughts:

·         The baseline system is “imaginary”.  It is used as an efficiency reference and I suspect that it was not envisioned by its ASHRAE authors to be a reference for a non-mechanical comfort control system.

·         Baseline systems share a few common aspects with the “real” (proposed) system.  These common aspects include schedules for occupancy, lighting and equipment.  They also include operating setpoints for comfort.

·         You do not need to turn on a baseline cooling or heating system.  For example the Availability Schedule for the chiller or cooling coil could be “OFF” continuously.  If it is “OFF” for the Baseline, though, the identical schedule must be used for the Proposed system.

·         Similarly, I think that you are not required to maintain the building within, say, the ASHRAE comfort window, but the control setpoints must be identical for Baseline and Proposed models.  Of course, the design engineer’s responsibility is to make sure the client’s comfort requirements are met (whatever they may be).  This means that you can, for example, define the cooling setpoint at 40C for both systems, resulting in the cooling system never operating.

·         You ARE required to meet the ventilation minimums of ASHRAE 62.1.  That’s fairly easily done for mechanically ventilated systems; I trust that you have a good idea how to model and verify it for a naturally ventilated system!

So far, I have not addressed your question about fan power! I wanted to “set the stage” a bit, though.  Now on to fan power:

·         I think that every Baseline system’s fans should be defined with reasonable fan efficiency and pressure rise.  The definition for “reasonable” is not provided anywhere in ASHRAE 90.1.  My own definition is that I will be able to confidently explain and defend my choices in front of a group of my peers.

·         In addition, as defined by 90.1 the fan system Delta T must be 20F / 11.1C (as mentioned in an earlier post)

·         Your (autosized) Baseline fan system probably provides both ventilation air and space heating. Depending on the amount of heating that is required, the flow rate may still be the same as the ventilation amount.  Regardless, it’s “autosized” and autosizing accounts for minimum ventilation, heating and cooling loads, uses the 20F delta T and also uses “reasonable” fan efficiency and Delta P.  The purpose of Baseline autosizing in the Standard is (I think) to minimize the “game-playing” and make sure a Baseline represents a fairly constant standard.

·         I’m not quite sure what you mean by “These air flow rates obviously don't also meet the heating and cooling loads…” .  A Baseline system MUST meet the heating and cooling loads defined by your heating and cooling setpoints.  So must the Proposed system.  Both systems must meet the “unmet load hours” requirements in G3.1.2.2.

·         The Proposed fan system does not need to meet the heating loads on its own if the radiant floor provides enough heat to maintain the heating setpoint.  Similarly, the Proposed fans should not use the efficiencies and unloading coefficients specified for Baseline systems; they should use the actual efficiency and unloading coefficients.

E-mail discussion are difficult!  Nonetheless, I hope I’ve helped.

Here’s a summary:

BOTH BASELINE and PROPOESED:

·         Identical schedules for occupancy, lighting and equipment.

·         Identical comfort setpoints

·         Identical ventilation minimum requirements

BASELINE:

·         Autosized for 62.1 ventilation, 20F delta T, “reasonable” efficiency and delta P,  and providing all heating and cooling loads

PROPOSED:

·         Assure 62.1 ventilation minimums are met (however that’s done for naturally ventilated systems)

·         Actual efficiency, delta P and delta T for all fans and pumps

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504