RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Simple way to account for motor casing heat

Dear Linda,

The suggestion is a bit verbose, but it may help:
(black text is the IO Reference current description,
Red is my editing)

OtherEquipment, HotWaterEquipment, SteamEquipment

In addition to Electric and Gas equipment types, Other (unspecified source), Hot Water and

Steam equipment types are available. One notable feature of the OtherEquipment is that the

Design Level field can have negative (heat loss) values. The definitions are the same as for

GasEquipment.

OtherEquipment energy affects the zone’s temperature and zone heating / cooling loads, and therefore affects the operation and energy use of the HVAC systems serving the zone. It does not add to any energy source.  e.g., If you add 10kW of OtherEquipment energy to a zone, the total facility energy use is not increased directly.  Total facility energy use is affected indirectly because the 10kW will offset heating loads and will increase cooling loads.

One possible use of OtherEquipment is to add motor casing heat to a zone in which the motor is located.  The motor casing losses are accounted for by Energy Plus in the fan or pump which the motor serves, but the casing losses do not affect the zone.  Adding the casing losses to the zone with OtherEquipment  will affect heating and cooling system operation appropriately, but will not increase overall electricity use.

HotWaterEquipment works the same as OtherEquipment except …..

SteamEquipment works the same as OtherEquipment except …..

I have not used the Tips manual, so I took this occasion to make a quick review.  On the one hand, it seems that something about OtherEquipment may be an appropriate addition.  On the other hand, I suspect it’s a rare energy modeler who even knows what happens to motor casing heat, let alone cares … so I would not put it in the Tips manual for that reason alone.  You probably have a short list of other uses, though, for OtherEquipment and it might be helpful to put those into Tips.

Now that I’ve had a few minutes to think about it, I realize that I used OtherEquipment in a recent swimming pool model to add all the evaporated water as a latent load to the pool HVAC; very handy!.  It never occurred to me at the time that the latent energy was “coming out of thin air”, so to speak.

Thanks for asking and for all you and the E+ Team do for the rest of us.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504