RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] ASHRAE Equipment Capacity Sizing Factors - Different for Heating and Cooling

Dear Jeannie,

For v5,  I do it manually after getting the simulation to run by looking in the output for the E+ calculated sizes.  I like to use the HVACSizingSummary Report to find the autosized capacity, then manually size the equipment with the desired additional capacity.

Remember that when you manually size one piece of equipment, it often affects other equipment.  E.g.,  Sizing the chiller affects the pump, coils and air loops.  I have not spent much time trying to figure this out, so to be safe I generally autosize everything or manually size everything.  I know you CAN mix manual and auto sizing, but you can get problems from doing so also.

A possible shortcut is to make the Sizing:Parameters SizingFactor = 1.15 (which affects both heating and cooling).  If the unmet load hours are below the maximum threshold at 1.15, I sometimes don’t bother changing the heating factor to 1.25

p.s., I am delighted to hear that v6 can do this automatically!  Thanks E+!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504