RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Chilled Beams need a separate water control loop

The chilled beam model is controlled based on load and the heat transferred to the chilled water won’t really vary with inlet water temps.  The mass flows and temps are different, but not the energy flow rate.

The return temps into the chiller will depend a lot on the pumping configuration, the relative magnitudes of flows, etc.  But in many cases the mixing of different return flows can work out to be not very different from what a higher-temp secondary loop loads would do to a lower-temp primary loop.  So yes, I agree the single chiller approach can be adequate.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James V Dirkes II, PE
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:57 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Chilled Beams need a separate water control loop

Thanks, Brent.

Two chillers changes part load relationships a lot.

Lower water temp to the chilled beams probably affects their performance, too, but I suspect the bigger impact will be on the chiller performance.

I think I’ll go with the one chiller approach.

This might be a nice item to add to the development list, if it’s not already on it!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504