RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: modelling a dome

If you want a 12 section circular dome of 1 meter radius, the x, y, z valures are:

Base:  1.0, 0.866, 0.5, 0.0, -0.5, -0.866, -1.0    for x,y conbinations,  z = 0.0.

First trapeze top:    cos 30° = 0.866 .    all the above numbers should be multiplied with 0.866.           z= sin 30° = 0.5,

The next row of trapeze base is the same as the first trapeze top.  Z= 0.5.

Second trapeze top:  cos 60° = 0.5.  This is used to multiply the first base number.  Z = 0.866

The last top circle uses triangles:  Base is the same as the second trapeze top. Z = 0.866.
The top of the triangle is  x = 0.0, y = 0.0, and Z = 1,  the radius of the dome.  You may replace this section with a flat piece of glass with 12 corners.
You will have 10 different numbers per trapeze.  Once you have figured out how they should be  arranged to form the vertices, you can write a EPlus macro to fill in a complete object for the wall section.

Define three EPlus macros to generate all the base wall objects, by number and name substitution.  The macro would place the ten numbers in the correct places for the vertices with  the unique wall name, zone name, construction, etc.

Add or subtract 0.001 from the wall dimension for the glass window, as a imbedded macro.

72 macro lines would complete the dome.  The origin of the zone object may be used to install the dome in different locations.

I have not written the macro.  If the idea does not work, please let me know.  Larger dome may require more sections.  The principle is the same.

You may also try to generate the ten number row with the help of a spread sheet.

 Dr. Li