RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: InternalMass and Solar gain

Dear Jean,

·         If the model is NOT affected significantly by incident solar radiation on internal walls, I just add InternalMass in each zone of an amount the same as the internal walls.  You need a wall Construction of the right materials and a rough measurement of the area. (Area must be doubled if both surfaces of the wall are exposed to the zone)

·         If the model IS affected significantly by incident solar radiation, I add the walls in the model.

o   This is something of a judgment call!

·         When combining multiple floors (e.g., floors 2-9 for a 10 story building), make sure you have the floor constructions properly accounted  for.

·         Furnishings and equipment are a bit more of a judgment call, since their mass varies so much.  My approach is to make sure I’ve got the walls accounted for and then add 10-20% for furnishings, depe